The Windmill was built in 1896 as part of the estate of John R. Oughton, one of the founders of the Kelley Institute. Originally called the pumping tower, it was built by the US Wind, Engine & Pump Company of Batavia, Illinois. The well is 840’ deep and contained an 88-barrel cypress tank at the top of the structure. The windmill pumped water for the entire estate.
The Windmill has stood above the skyline of Dwight for over 110 years. It was placed on the “National Register of Historic Places” on September 23, 1980.